Add Tongue Cleaning to Your Daily Oral Care Routine
From a young age you have probably been taught that all you need to do to keep your mouth healthy is to brush and floss, but there is one extra thing you should be doing – cleaning your tongue.
Why Your Tongue Needs to Be Cleaned on a Daily Basis
Think of your tongue as a very sticky surface that attracts bacteria to it throughout the day. The bacterium sticks to the tongue and stays there until it is removed. The only way to remove the bacteria is to properly clean your tongue either by brushing it with a toothbrush or using a specialized tool known as a tongue scraper.
If you don’t properly clean your tongue, a number of problems can occur ranging from bad breath to tooth decay and gum inflammation. In order to avoid these problems, it is recommended that you clean your tongue at least once a day.
How to Properly Clean Your Tongue
Properly cleaning your tongue will only add an additional minute or two to your daily oral care routine and it is extremely easy to do.
To properly clean your tongue do the following:
- Gently brush the top surface of your tongue. Make sure to move back to front and rinse the toothbrush after each brush.
- Gently brush the sides of the tongue.
- Make sure to rinse after each brush to remove bacteria from your toothbrush
- Gently brush the tongue. Brushing too hard will break the skin on the top of your tongue and cause tiny little cuts
- Consider using a tongue scraper instead of a toothbrush. Not only does it work better, but it won’t cause tiny cuts to the tongue.
Have questions about proper tongue cleaning? Our staff will gladly answer any questions you have and even show you how to properly clean your tongue at your next appointment. If you aren’t a current patient at Chehalis Dental Care, contact us today to discuss scheduling an appointment. We look forward to welcoming you to our office!