Taking the Fear Out of IV Sedation Dentistry: What to Expect During Your Appointment
IV sedation dentistry is a great option for people who are afraid or extremely anxious about going to the dentist for dental care. Unfortunately, it can be a source of stress and worry if you are uncertain about what will happen during your dental appointment that uses IV sedation, but it doesn’t have to be a source of stress.
We find that when patients have a better understanding of what will happen during their appointment their stress levels decrease. That is why we have created a quick guide that will help you better understand what happens when you schedule an appointment for IV sedation dentistry.
What Happens Before Your IV Sedation Dentistry Appointment?
Before a patient can even be considered before IV sedation dentistry they must go through a brief consultation with our dentist. During the consultation our dentist will look at what type of work you need to have done, ask you questions about your current health, and even inquire about your comfort levels during dentist appointments. All the answers you provide will help our dentist determine whether or not you are a good candidate for IV sedation dentistry.
Once our dentist has determined you are a good candidate for IV sedation dentistry, you will schedule your appointment and be given a list of pre-appointment instructions. It is important that you follow these instructions, as we cannot do your appointment if they are not followed.
Pre-appointment instructions will vary depending upon the type of dental treatment you are having. Some examples of pre-appointment instructions include:
- No food or drink for 8 to 12 hours before your appointment
- Possible discontinuation of certain types of medication before the appointment
- Arriving at the appointment with someone who can drive you home
- Arranging for someone to be with you for several hours after your appointment
Day of Your Appointment for IV Sedation Dentistry
Your comfort is our priority for your appointment. We often ask that you arrive 30 minutes to an hour before your appointment. This allows us to do several things including taking your blood pressure, verifying your weight, and making sure you have arranged for an escort after the appointment.
Once your appointment is started, the following things will happen:
- You will be hooked up to monitors that constantly monitor your blood pressure, heart rate, and oxygen levels
- Sedative medication will be administered via IV to you. This will make you feel slightly sleepy and relaxed
- Our dentist will start your treatment. He will administer local anesthetic during the treatment as IV sedation does not treat pain, it only relaxes you.
- Once treatment is completed, the IV will be removed and you will slowly start to awaken. At no point will you be left alone, you will constantly be monitored until it is safe for you to go home.
Chehalis Dental Care offers IV sedation dentistry in an effort to make our patients get the dental care they need to lead happy and healthy lives. Call us today to schedule an appointment to discuss and learn more about IV sedation dentistry.